Also from Retro Festive, but currently out of stock.
These free-standing paper Christmas trees add colorful, country charm to your Christmas decor. Cut various size circles out of Christmas cards, scalloping the edges of some. From the center of each circle cut out a 3/16-inch pie-shaped wedge. Curl the circle into a cone shape (pattern side up), overlap the ends, and tape the back.
To make the base, cut a 2-inch foam ball in half and a 1/8-inch dowel to desired height. Place the foam ball flat side down, add a drop of hot glue to an end of the dowel, and push the dowel through the foam ball until it stops. Slide the largest cone shape down the dowel, and then twist a small rubber band around the dowel; continue alternating progressively smaller cone shapes with rubber bands. Top the paper Christmas tree with the smallest cone shape and a ribbon.
Found this at the Lake House Treasury, an Etsy shop. I love the idea but it may be out of place here in Ontario.
This was originally published on HubPages, for Christmas 2012.
Not everyone celebrates Christmas. But, some people find the Christmas season frightening, creepy and spooky too. Some people don’t like Christmas because it’s scary.
Christmas can be overwhelming. Endlessly repeating Christmas carols, shopping mall Santas, hungry reindeers, cold-hearted snowmen, stunted looking elves and any other ghastly or terribly ugly Christmas related horrors.
This year we put up two Christmas wreaths, mostly decorated with Christmas lights and gingerbread men we made from felt, beads and other accessories. But, they didn’t look much like the creepy one I found on Deviant Art and we didn’t have zombies on our wreaths. We don’t have zombies on the Christmas tree either. Of course, our tree doesn’t have quite the glow (sort of a manic glow) as this tree all in red lights with a spooky tree topper too. I like of like the creepy dolls on the tree, though I may not rush out to get them this year.
Do you like a Christmas advent calendar? I do. I usually get one every year. There’s a little surprise behind every window. Ever since I was a kid and bought my first advent calendar at the German Christmas Bazaar I’ve made sure to have an advent calendar with little chocolates behind each window every holiday. But, I never thought to look for a Creepy Advent Calendar. A bit late to start it now, but it will probably be around next year – lurking around your windows and doors no doubt.
It’s not hard to find creepy Christmas cards. Some of them don’t even intend to be creepy, spooky or just plain weird, but they are. Sometimes the artist just draws Santa’s face with an odd leering, grumpy or wicked expression. Sometimes it’s more, so much more sinister. Not every Santa is created like a jolly old elf in a red suit.
When you get your creepy Christmas cards all written, stamped and addresses, don’t forget to finish them off and give them that extra creepy polish with creepy Christmas mail art.
I even found killer Christmas tree business cards available for the ordering.
Christmas can be Weird
- Christmas Treat – Creepy Christmas Decorations | eJunkie
- CREEPMAS : A Celebration of the Hallowdays
- The Spooky Vegan: 13 Days of Creepmas: Merry Creepmas!
- 54 Creepy, Bizarre and Geeky Xmas Tree Ornaments | WebUrbanist
- Strange Decor: 35 Bizarre & Creepy Christmas Tree Ornaments | WebUrbanist
- My Alfred Hitchcock Christmas Tree-Trimming Party: Confessions from the Velvet Ropes
- Stuff Our Stockings with Christmas Horror Stories
- Merry Christmas! Scary Santas and fetus ornaments | BabyCenter Blog
- Have Yourself a Creepy Little Christmas | Wacky Owl
- 5 Creepy Christmas Traditions from Around the World | Cracked.com
- The 11 Most Unintentionally Creepy Christmas Ornaments | Cracked.com
- Creepy Christmas Tree Ornaments | who killed bambi?
- Deck the Fails: 15 Weird and Wacky Christmas Tree Ornaments
- Ugly Christmas Lights
- Flickr: Creepy Santa Claus
- Flickr: Creepy Christmas
- Creepy Christmas – Pinterest
- 10 Strange and Weird Christmas Traditions From Around the World | Open Journey
- A Very Demented Christmas
- Top 10 Christmas Horror Movies – Listverse
- Weird Christmas Reads | Abebooks.com
- Avalanche of Christmas Horror!