I was looking for something for Pippi Longstocking and Christmas, thought I might get lucky as I did when I looked for Raggedy Ann and Christmas the other day. I found a nice book cover for a Pippi Christmas story and then I found Sarah’s Sketches through another site which had posted her drawing of Pippi. It’s charming and the expression on her face is timeless, so much the mischevious child. So I’m posting all my Pippi Longstocking findings and adding the link to Sarah Mensinga‘s website.
My brother’s girlfriend, Heather, was here. They stopped in on the way to North Bay to have Christmas with her family. Heather is noticeably taller than I am. She got my tree up! She made it look easy. She just picked up that middle section which I could not get in though I’ve been trying for a week, and slotted it right in there. It’s all together now and I even found all the light cords to plug into each other. She did the topmost one before they left. So I have a tree! First time I have had a tree up in several years. I will take a photo of it tonight. I just need to get out and buy a new extension cord for it. Rogers Cable used every last one I had here for the cable hook up. Anyway, I am no longer tree-less and all my thousand and dozen ornaments will have a home this year!!!
It is now 9:00 and I have just gotten back from the excursion into the tundra of Barrie to get the cord for the tree. I have put a few ornaments on it but think I will wait for the cord to unthaw before I try plugging anything in. Very bitterly cold here today. I nearly gave up on the trip and came back here. But, I persevered. In the morning I will finish adding ornaments (or maybe tonight once I am unthawed myself). Then I will try the lights and take a photo. I did get one tonight but kind of dark for it to turn out well.
It’s that odd time between my birthday and Christmas. Most people have a lot of time between the two, I just have about a week. Just after my birthday I begin to think about doing something for Christmas. I may have done some cards and thought about (or even bought) a few presents. But, until now I really don’t think of Christmas as being something I need to do much about. My birthday comes first.
This year I was even going to put up the tree. But, it is a bust. Instead I have to return it to the store and see if they will replace it. Not a great option when I will have to see if I can get a drive over with the tree or bus it. When I bought the tree I took a taxi back here with it. That isn’t a great option now that I have to go out of my way to return the damaged goods. Anyway, at this point is there any point to getting the tree replaced or wouldn’t a refund be better? Nice to have that cash back rather than having a tree up for a few days. Really disappointing. No wonder I’m feeling kind of burned out about Christmas.
I haven’t really, really cared about it since my first Christmas in Illinois when I was a newlywed. I liked having our tree up and putting on all the decorations. It was the last time I put up a tree. Though the tree and ornaments have always been my favourite part of the whole thing.
My brother might be out tomorrow. Maybe he can take me over with the tree and wait to see if I get a new one to try. If the new one is a dud too that will be really aggravating. I don’t even have the reciept so they may be nasty and not even
let me return it.
One thing I have learned it the importance of only buying things which you are SURE have not been returned to the store and re-sold. I used to not worry about that very much. Now, after having several things to return lately I will be a lot more careful. No one offers to pay you back the cost of making the return trip with your merchandise which needs to be returned.
Doodle Week starts tomorrow. Hope to see your doodles there!
Sandee on Comedy Plus was given this award and left it for all the other Christmas types to pick up as they like.
Here are the rules for the Christmas Spirit award:
* You must be a true Christmas lover to receive this award.
* The person to whom you give the award must also be in love with Christmas.
* You must link back to the person who gave you the award.
* You must list 5 things that you love about Christmas. If you can’t limit it to 5 things, then keep going till you run out of space!
* Pass the award along to as many people as you like. That can be 1 or 50. It’s up to you! But, you must pass it on to at least one person in order to keep the Christmas cheer going!
* Let your recipients know that you have tagged them by leaving them a comment.
Five things I like about Christmas:
1. That feeling of Christmas spirit. It’s not something that comes so easily now that I’m not a kid looking forward to time off school, presents and lots of chocolate goodies. Now those bursts of Christmas spirit are a real joy and I appreciate them far more.
2. The Christmas tree. I have not put up a tree since my divorce. This year I have it on the go. The assembly is giving me a lot of trouble and it isn’t looking good. But, one of my favourite things about Christmas is the tree with all the ornaments and lights. Each ornament comes with some kind of story, each is special for a reason.
3. I love the lights when you are outside at night. They glow in the darkness. I love the ones with lots of colour but the best shows are often those with just one or two colours, they take my breath away.
4. I miss making snow people. I like seeing those others have made and I feel sorry for the snow people and the families who built them as they melt when the weather changes.
5. Christmas angels are kind of special though not as a religious idea. My Mom and I have a collection of them, adding a new one each year. Now that she snowbirds in Florida every Christmas I’m doing the angels by myself. Feels a bit empty and lost now but I carry on. I still have the original angel which she bought when I was born, December 19th quite a few years ago.
Apparently you can order a whole Christmas tree, complete with lights and ornaments, from Sears Florists. They are all sold out now so I couldn’t get more information than the photo on the site. Kind of odd to think of getting a tree that way. What happens to it after Christmas? Can you just return the whole thing to Sears?
I was looking at Christmas flowers. Mainly because I keep seeing ads for them on so many websites and blogs. This one was at Sears too.