Found this at All Flowers and Charm.
Saved for posterity. Most of the links don’t go very far.
ODP .sig Code
The following explanatory blurb is ripped off from the geek code. Make the appropriate modifications in your head, please.
Geeks, of all people, can seldom be strictly quantified. To facilitate the fact that within any one category you may not be able to determine a specific rating, variables have been designed to allow this range to be included.
@ – for this variable, said trait is not very rigid, may change with time or with individual interaction. For example, Geeks who happen to very much enjoy Star Trek: The Next Generation, but dislike the old 60’s series might list themselves as t++@.
() – for indicating “cross-overs” or ranges. Geeks who go from C+ to C— depending on the situation (i.e. mostly “C+”) could use C+(—). @ is different from () in that () has finite limits within the category, while @ ranges all over.
< – for ‘wannabe’ ratings. Indicating that while the geek is currently at one rating, they are striving to reach another. For example, C++>$ indicating a geek that is currently computer savvy, but wants to someday make money at it.
$ – Indicates that this particular category is done for a living. For example, UL+++$ indicates that the person utilizes Unix and gets paid for it. Quite a lucky geek, for sure. ODP Code note: this only applies to staff!
? – Unless stated otherwise within the specific category, the ? is placed after the category identifier and indicates that the geek has no knowledge about that specific category. For example, a person that has never even heard of Babylon 5, would list their Babylon 5 category as 5?
! – Placed before the category. Unless stated otherwise, indicates that the person refuses to participate in this category. This is unlike the ? variable as the ? indicates lack of knowledge, while the ! indicates stubborn refusal to participate. For example, !E would be a person that just plain refuses to have anything to do with Emacs, while E? would be a person that doesn’t even know what Emacs is.
Let the ODP Code begin!
- E = Editor
- E+ = Editall
- E++ = Editall+Catmv
- E+++ = Meta
- E+- = Cateditall
- E++- = Catmod
- E! = Staff
- F++++ = I’m totalxsive.
- F+++ = Seriously addicted to the forums. I’ve learned several languages by reading each and every World forum thread.
- F++ = Active on a daily basis. A forum is the first thing that comes to my mind when hearing “Café”, “Penguin”, or a combination of both.
- F+ = Reading relevant threads quite regularly. I’m even contributing to fun forum threads once in a while.
- F = I’ve been to the Penguin Café once, and I remember participating in a reorg discussion about… well… whatever.
- F- = I introduced myself in the New Editor Forum several months ago. Oh, and I read some threads about current reorganisations. Well – at least item0.
- F– = ODP forums? Boooooring!! I prefer to post to external forums, mocking fellow editors.
- F!: I’ve just discovered/remembered that UBB code (and similar) doesn’t work here. (now obsolete)
Duration of Editorship
- D = just joined (less than a year)
- D+ = 12 – 23 months
- D++ = 24 – 35 months
- D+++ = 36 – 47 months
- D++++ = 48 months – 59 months
- D+++++ = five years or more
- D* = I am skrenta.
- D- = I would like to join.
- D+++x = I am on a break from the ODP (+++ = total “active” time before the break)
- D!- = I resigned by my own free will (no abuse etc.)
- D! = I have been removed from the ODP.
- D!! = I have an ODP hate site.
Number of Edits
- N? = 0
- N— = 1 – 50
- N– = 51-100
- N- = 101-500
- N = 501-1000
- N+ = 1001-5000
- N++ = 5001-10000
- N+++ = 10001-50000
- N! = rpfuller
- G = I’ve suggested smilies and/or Mozzies in the appropriate threads, but have never made any.
- G+ = I’ve submitted a couple of smilies or at least one Mozzie.
- G++ = I’ve submitted at least 2 smilies and 2 Mozzies or I have bea-u-tified my Editor profile page.
- G+++ = I’ve helped with making Editor Awards, and I’ve submitted both smilies and Mozzies.
- G++++ = I’ve submitted smileys and Mozzies faster than Business gets spammed.
- G+++++ = I edit Bookmarks/M/mozzie and/or host Editor Awards on my own server(s).
- G* = I’m enarra.
- G- = I wish I knew how to design or make graphics.
- G! = Graphics, who needs ’em? I view the web in text only.
- G? = Why can’t we have animated smilies and Mozzies?
- G?!?! = I don’t understand why there isn’t an all Flash version of the ODP.
- Q = average quality edits
- Q+ = good quality edits
- Q++ = great edits!
- Q+++++ = they asked me to become an editall after 100 edits
- Q- = working on it
- Q– = oops!
- Q—: Whaht iz zpellinghk? Geidleighns?
- Lu = B-ing @ luser’z kewl!
- Lo = I’m a loser. So what? Peons are a necessary part of any group.
- Lu(o) = Sometimes my ego doesn’t overshadow my loserness.
- Lo(u) = I’ll proudly admit to being a loser in the proper context, of course.
- Lu>o = I’m maturing and one day won’t be so proud of my status, but I’ll still be a loser.
- Lo>u = I’m trying to be a “kewl” loser.
- L> = I’m attempting to achieve non-loser status, but I’m not there yet.
- L? = I don’t get it.
- !L? = I refuse to designate something I don’t understand.
- !L = I refuse to participate in (or admit to) having loser status.
- L@ = I range across the entire loser scale.
- A+++++ = I’m a human robot.
- A++++ = If I don’t do at least 100 edits a day I get withdrawal symptoms. I sleep in the ODP IRC room.
- A+++ = I’m not going out as much as I used to. My marriage is showing signs of weakness caused by too much late night editing.
- A++ = I’ve started applying for new cats because I’ve run out of greens.
- A+ = I log on regularly to edit. I’ve even started adding non-submitted sites.
- A = I doing just enough editing to keep ‘my’ cats maintained, but that’s all you’ll see of me.
- A- = I’m still around, just not logging in as much as I used to be.
- A– = I’m still looking after my pet cats; sometimes.
- A— = I hardly recognise any of the editor names anymore.
- A—- = I’ve forgotten how to work the edit buttons. If they don’t ban me for bad editing, I’ll accidently timeout soon.
- A! = I’ve temporarily stopped all editing for reasons too complex to explain, but I will be back.
- A!! = I’ve timed out having previously set A!: I thought I’d be back, but evidently not.
- H– = Neither uses nor recognizes humor. Probably isn’t reading this.
- H- = Just the facts, ma’am/man.
- H = A little laughter helps break the tension.
- H+ = A lot of laughter really helps break the tension.
- H++ = Don’t read my posts while drinking cocoa, that crt’s hard to clean.
- H! = magne
Where Editing Happens
- W = At work, of course
- W+ = At work and at home
- W++ = At work and at home and with a laptop…everywhere
- W- = At home
- W– = At home on weekends
- W! = DMOZ wouldn’t run without me…I own a small computer company so I can edit anywhere
- W!! = What are you talking about? This is my work, my social life, the reason for my existence.
- W? = I never edit. I just read the forums on the library’s computer when I get there.
Opinion of ODP
- O+++ = It’s perfect. I can’t think of anything that could be made better.
- O++ = It’s very good, but it has a few flaws.
- O+ = Mostly, it works. Sometimes, it doesn’t – but I can live with that.
- O = It’s just another directory.
- O- = It’s a good idea in theory, but it’s obviously not in practice.
- O– = It’s not even a good idea in theory. It was obvious volunteer-run directories would lead to chaos from the start.
- O— = It sucks. ODP should be taken out and shot.
- B+ = I’m a good editor and never bump any threads that I’m not supposed to.
- B = I’ve probably bumped the odd thread now and again that I shouldn’t.
- B- = I’ve bumped 07:10PM, No, Miriamisms, Lycos is using a false editor name and Welcome to the Forum.
- B– = I’ve bumped all of the above and more.
- B! = I’ve received a staff warning for my bumping.
This Code (not presently recognized by the decoder)
- C- = This is cute, but we should have spent the time editing.
- C = Finally, a system to quantify myself in relation to other editors so that I know where I can increase my involvement in the project.
- C+ = I submitted suggestions for the code.
- C* = I’m either etoile or ciaran.
- T! = The last time I used a power tool I broke something and autumn had to fix it.
- T– = I’m afraid to use power tools.
- T- = Tools? What tools?
- T = I use tools occasionally.
- T+ = I have at least one tool bookmarked.
- T++ = I’ve suggested a new tool or feature that was implemented.
- T+++ = I’ve created at least one tool.
- T++++ = I recreated at least one of nurey’s tools.
- T* = I’m rpfuller or dlugan.
- T+++!!: I’m autumn.
- I— = Instant Messaging is stupid. What’s wrong with feedback?
- I– = Never used IM for ODP matters, but may consider it
- I- = I have at least 1 IM system, but never talked to any other editors with it.
- I = I occasionally talk to other editors online
- I+ = I regularly talk to other editors and pop into #ODP now and again
- I++ = I got broadband just so that could IM all day, and spend a lot of time in #ODP
- I+++ = I live in #ODP, and would suffer withdrawal symptons if it ever went away
- I! = I host the ODP:IRC server
Social Interaction (not presently recognized by the decoder)
- S! = I won’t meet people from the internet – don’t you watch the news?!
- S– = I’ve never met or spoken to another editor offline.
- S- = I’ve talked to a few on the phone… what a buncha geeks!
- S = I’ve met one or two editors in person or talk to several regularly by phone.
- S+ = I socialize with several regularly in person or have newwave on speed-dial.
- S++ = I’ve attended an editor gathering or meetup.
- S+++ = I’ve slept in robjones‘s barn multiple times or slept with raggedyrugs at least once.
- S++++ I’ve organized or hosted an editor gathering or meetup.
- S* = I met my spouse through ODP (e.g., kfander).
Kategories (yeah, yeah, C was already taken – this is for your main focus)
- Kar = Arts
- Kbu = Business
- Kco = Computers
- Kga = Games
- Khe = Health
- Kho = Home
- Kkt = Kids and Teens
- Kne = News
- Krc = Recreation
- Krf = Reference
- Krg = Regional
- Ksc = Science
- Ksh = Shopping
- Kso = Society
- Ksp = Sports
- Kwo = World
What does your code say about you? Though instead of decoding with a bar code scanner, these codes have to be looked at to understand them. While a symbol scanner equipped with a touch screen monitor may help in business, decoding ODP code is half the fun!
Thank you Wayback Machine. I found one saved link from an old site I had at Tripod. Worked a couple of hours to find old Blogger sites but, no luck so far. Well, I found one but not the one I was hoping for. Likely written soon after this site, 2001 some time. Blogger makes it pretty easy to find an old account but, you still need to have the email you were using at the time. They send a verification code to you there. But, my old email addresses are as old/ older than the site I hope to find. I tried to recover them but two of them are ISPs not in business for about 10 years. The other was at Excite.com, now Lycos and I could not find anything about recovering old accounts. Likely they are not kept that long. Google/ Blogger seems to be the only social network which does care about history. I won’t forget that Google took up the old newsgroups and still has them saved from the very early days of the Internet.
I may repost these old posts in order by date. Nice to see them pop up in the right place and remember how long I’ve been doing this.
Writing and publishing online and still putting in time on my regularly scheduled life.
I was born in the Year of the Dragon, more than a few years ago. 2000 was another year of the Dragon, in December I married Todd, moved to the US and became an expatriate.
I work as a freelance writer online and in print. My favourite colour is deep, dark red. When I’m having a bad day going outdoors always makes me feel better. I’m reading the same book I started 6 months ago: Sarum by Edward Rutherfurd. I’m not especially musically inclined, I can turn on the radio and be happy leaving it in the background.
Wednesday, October 03, 2001
Found some ornament making projects on a felt makers site. I really like to make Christmas ornaments.
Saturday, September 08, 2001
I’m still here in Ontario, Canada. Or back here. I went to Montreal for the MosaicCulture plant sculpture show. We also saw the botannical gardens. My favourites were the Canadian exhibits, although the Chinese dragons were great to see. I took pictures, as many as I could with the disposable camera. Its such a shame I forgot mine back in Illinois.
Friday, August 24, 2001
The Ex was good. Not as great as when I was a kid going down there with my brother and sisters. So much is commercial now and very little free stuff for kids or adults. I bought some things for the husband back in Illinois. Its his money so he should get something from it. 🙂 I bought a couple of small things for myself and a lovely angel/ fairy for the Christmas tree.
Wednesday, August 22, 2001
Its been awhile since I last wrote. I’m typing from my parent’s home in Toronto, Canada now. I’m here to get the dead zone computer fixed. IBM is still finding ways to do nothing.
Anyway, tonight I read a quote I liked from Evhead’s blog”To be an artist is a personality/ attitude/ spirit – not an occupation.” Evhead.
I’m writing for BackWash now, 2 or 3 journal entries a week so far. I’m going to start a second one for BackWash Kids. The ASCII Art column for WZ.com isn’t going anywhere soon. They seem to be too busy to approve new entries. Todd has been waiting a long time for his to get off the ground. I write to the editor and get things done but its a very slow proces. Makes the prospects slim for promoting it. How can you go wild promoting something that isn’t there yet. Just the opposite of HerPlanet where its only because of me that the site isn’t already up and active. I’m looking forward to having that one (HerCorner) going. There is so much I can do with it and so many web writers I can help get the confidence to start.
Anyway, I think this will be it for now. I want to get to sleep for all that walking at The Ex tomorrow.
Thursday, August 02, 2001
Found a weblog I like today, Poundy. She even lives somewhere in the midwest. I’m sticking the URL here so I won’t forget where I found the site. Doesn’t look like anyone is actually reading this blog. It doesn’t matter a lot. But it would be nice to have my moment of fame. lol
Talked to my Mom this morning. Graham, my brother, is on his way down here from Toronto. He is going to stay awhile, be here for Todd’s birthday this weekend and then I will go back with him and get my money back for the dead computer. I think that is the best way to do things, still not sure entirely. But if I get the money back there will hopefully be enough to buy another new computer here on the US side of the border this time. I went to look at a couple of sites. Gateway seems the best way to go, too bad the closest store is about a hundred miles away in St Louis. Maybe Todd would consider making a trip of it. Though it might mean waiting as long as my birthday, Christmas and wedding anniversary in December. Still, if I can access the net and my HerPlanet site using Todd’s computer that won’t be too bad. Of course its a pain not having my own computer. I fee like an online transient.Suite 101 is having a really great event now. I think they could have done better in picking links but that they did it at all is pretty impressive. Oddly enough, its the same idea I had for a column. Full-Figured Women: Healthy Mind & Body
The Coffee Ring is a blog from a Canadian woman planning her wedding. Nice to read about someone else going through all that, especially when its not me!!
Another site I’ve ben keeping an eye on is BackWash, the internet organized by personality. I’d enjoy doing a column there but I just don’t think I can handle the time commitment. You have to write a fairly good sized article and then add links (not related to your column or each other). Thats quite a chunk of time for something you don’t get paid for. I don’t begrudge them not paying I just think I should put that kind of time into something that pays or has prospects of paying.
SheBazzle: Julie’s Motherhood Journal. This is a good blog, anyone with a scanner or digital camera does have an edge in blogging. Todd hinted that he is getting me a scanner for my birthday/ Christmas. I’ll have to get all those pictures developed finally! I’d love to have a scanner.
I like the name Darla for a girl. Maybe its too girly but I still like it. I hope Todd and I have at least one kid. Two or three would be a lot better, at least two anyway. I don’t think Todd wants to, he certainly isn’t co-operating sperm wise. I don’t know what my life will be like if I never have a kid. It just seems to be the meaning of life, something I can contribute to my ancestors and life, the future and everything. Its important to me personally, I want to raise a child, a person. I want to pass on my thoughts, genes and good and bad times. I want to be part of the world and show another new person all that the world is. There is so much amazing stuff in the world. Not everyone can see it, sometimes they forget to look or forget how to look.
Friday, July 27, 2001
I’m having a creative day. I made two new ascii pictures and wrote book reviews for HerCorner. Still waiting for the ezine to be approved for the WZard site. The URL has my byline up already. The editor is just busy with a lot of other new WZards/ writers. Looking forward to seeing my site up and functioning.
The Zeal directory is a mess. I can’t see myself putting in any more time there. Its not listed by topics but by country. Which just makes no sense and is bordering on annoying since everything is listed under United States really. Just a little too US centric for this Canadian.
My computer died on June 27th. I just realized its been a month to the day. We finally found out that its the motherboard that needs to be replaced. I will have to take the computer back home with me when I go to Toronto for Sarah’s wedding. It will be great to have my computer back and working again. I miss all my files! Its been terrific of Todd to let me use his computer for checking email and the odd bit of stuff I can still do without my harddrive and its contents. Sarah came up with the idea of transplanting my hard drive into Todd’s computer but I can see that Todd is reluctant to allow this brain surgery. So it looks like I will have to hope my hard drive survives another trip back and forth to Toronto. Its about 17 hours on the bus, with a 4-5 hour wait in Chicago. Not a lot of fun. Also, for going there I will need to go to the INS building and get the advanced parole. I will be so glad when I’m finally free, or at least a bit free. The only time anyone is really free is when they are a baby. At the time don’t really know it and would likely laugh at anyone who said it. They likely wouldn’t consider themselves free, can’t do anything they see everyone doing. Must be boring being a baby. Time to get ready to go out tonight. I’m really hungry, skipped lunch. We planned to go to the Chinese buffet tonight so I won’t be hungry for long. 🙂
Friday, July 20, 2001
Still no computer for me. Todd doesn’t want to put my hard drive into his computer. He hasn’t said that but he hasn’t done anything about doing it. I would do it but its his computer and if he doesn’t want to do it, thats up to him.
Sarah put up pictures from her birthday bbq, online. Great to see everyone, wish I was there.
Here is something I wrote last night. Todd and I had a bad night. Not that he knows about it.
I feel like I’m in too deep and the little light at the end of the tunnel is just my imagination. If I try to get to it, it just won’t be there.I can’t feel motivated. I used to think it was because I was afraid of putting a foot wrong. But now I think its more than that. I think I’d rather do nothing than try anything. Its easier to put nothing, to invest as small a part of myself, my knowledge, talents, personality, etc into whatever the end result will be. Knowing its far more likely that I will hear I’ve done something the wrong way, not enough, etc.
I wish I could find my old backscratcher. My shoulderblades are almost always itchy. I’ve read that itchy skin is caused by dead skin cells needing to be scraped off. I’m not sure thats right. Why am I always itchy in the same spots then and not in others. Just another of those little things. I’m about to go make coffee and get dressed. Hopefully I will hear from someone with good news about my computer. The only thing we’ve made progress with is to find out that its the motherboard that needs to be replaced.
Sagittarius is a fire sign ruled by Jupiter the planet of expansion. The most adventurous and philosophical of the Zodiac Sagittarius embrace freedom for all. Wildly unpredictable these are the adventurers of the Zodiac. Your soul lesson is to put your philosophy into action and accept and be the unique soul that you are.
Illustrations from David Scheirer at studio tuesday. I like the colours and the simple style, especially with these Northern Lights images, kind of magical.